Monday, April 28, 2014

Resemblance the book is no longer available. My thanks to all who bought it. I hope it has given you pleasure and I hope it will continue to do so.

Making the book was an experience like no other. A great deal of time elapsed between starting to paint the characters of À la recherche du temps perdu and eventually watching others look at them in a finished book, but the span is bridged by all that occurred from start to finish, including personal loss and artistic redemption: the book came from the heart, the mind, and the hand, it was good work to do. For this I thank Marcel Proust.

The experience became elaborate in New York. Missing the curb and the hand of the doorman at an apartment on Central Park West as I got out of a cab and broke my left femur at the knee seems full of hubris, but I will never again enjoy the pleasure I felt, unconcerned with pain for half a block, flying down the side walk three days after the fall, my arms in the air, my book in my lap, as I was pushed, and then released, freed, by a friend who rolled me along in a wheelchair and let go and ran beside me. We were laughing, on our way to a party...



Five months later, after physical therapy and acupuncture and the ice-packs and crutches, and the walker the leg is healed but still cranky, and my cane, left hanging and forgotten on shopping cart handles is repeatedly returned in parking lots outside stores by considerate clerks who call me sir.

I have left the hospitality and comforts of the Casa Eureka and have moved back to Carmel Valley after an absence of forty-two years. The return makes me very happy. It is quite beautiful here. I am very lucky.

The house, 50 yards from the river, is on the border where the coastal fog melts into the warmer open sky of the interior. The river, narrowing where the hills gather is mostly dry stone-bed and leaks along slowly through low pools. Wind blows up and down the stream, cottonwood flowers sail over and around leafed out willow, poplar and blooming Scotch broom, a laurel or two flash silver between
pines, and across the draw, where the pleat of the ravine climbs a rise, a stand of 24 eucalyptus bend to the west inhaling sea air, then let go and bend to the east exhaling the scent of crisp honey.

There are birds, frogs, deer. Two rabbits live in the vegetable garden, old friends live minutes away. Gone eighteen months from Redondo, rested in France, exhilarated by Cabourg, encouraged by New York and Berkeley, I am setting up a studio again, in the place where, as a young man, I first tried to make a home of my own away from my parents.





3 comments:

  1. I think you've been forgetting your cane for so many times, since the clerks already know you. Haha! Kidding aside, it's nice to know that your leg is already healed. I suggest you still continue with your acupuncture sessions, in order to monitor if it really is completely healed. Moreover, using the cane has been quite helpful in your leg's healing. At least now you can completely forget it at home and not have to worry about it. Cheers!

    Sandie Derouin @ US HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray to the healing of your leg! I can only imagine how hard it was to live with an injured leg, especially if you've been up and running for errands and shopping various items. I’m also glad that you’ve had hospitable and kind clerks, who cared to return the cane to you. Anyway, I do hope you’ll continue to attend your acupuncture sessions to maintain the strength of your leg. How are you now, Nuuki? :)

    William Connors @ The Healing Station

    ReplyDelete
  3. Injuries can restrain you from doing your usual routine, and keep you from going where you have to be. It’s nice to know that your injured leg has already healed months after your therapy. I do hope you’ve been visiting your physical therapist and acupuncturist to maintain the strength of your legs. I’m sure they’ll help you prevent some other injuries in the future. Take care!

    Joan Stevens @ Stringer Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete